What is extra-sensory perception (ESP)? We have as humans five basic senses: sight, smell, hearing, touch, and taste. We sense our environments by the use of these abilities. These are all "mechanistic" abilities, totally accepted by science and dealing strictly with the physical environment.
For ages many have believed that we possess other abilities, extra-sensory ones, where we can receive information from our environments in ways not involving the use of our physical senses. Such reception is more spiritual in nature than physical.
The term 'Extra Sensory Perception' was coined by Dr. J.B.Rhine of Duke University. It includes the following areas, among others (exact terms may differ slightly from author to author):
1. Clairaudience: this is the hearing of sounds, music, and voices that are not perceptible by normal human hearing.
2. Clairsentience: this is the perception of smell, taste, emotions, touch or some other form of physical sensation
contributing to some general psychic impression.
3. Clairvoyance: the obtaining of information about objects or events without the use of the normal senses, nor with the use of telepathy. This can result in mental images, general feelings, etc, and overlaps considerably with other psychic abilities.
4. Dowsing: This involves the use of some form of dowsing rods to obtain information about the location of something such as water or treasure.
5. Pendulum work: The use of a pendulum in order to find out information.
6. Precognition: perceiving a future event.
7. Psychokinesis: the ability to move objects with the use of the mind.
8. Psychometry: the ability to sense information from a physical object.
9. Remote viewing: the perception of a distant object.
10. Retrocognition: perception of a past event.
11. Telepathy: the transference of thought or feelings between two individuals.
Mediumship and channeling are two other abilities some people have, but they are different in various ways from the above abilities. Both mediumship and channeling involve contacting other people but not really with an effort on your part. You are, in essence, being used by others. The above psychic abilities are natural, inherent abilities for you to use as you see fit, when you want, and where you want.
Let's take a look at these abilities and run through some simple experiments you can do on your own. Numerous books are available offering detailed programs of study for those who wish to develop their psychic abilities further.
One of the most difficult things to do is to shut down the constant chatter in our minds. Thoughts, ideas, feelings, sounds, etc. seem to constantly run through our minds, and until we can learn to focus and to silence them, working on psychic abilities will be somewhat more difficult.
So first of all, you should practice calming your thoughts. Focus on an external object, such as a candle or on something internal, such as a particular phrase. Do this until your mind has quieted. Then you will be prepared to proceed.
Use a book you have gotten from the library, showing pictures taken of areas far away. The pictures should be of some very ancient structure, or the ruins of that structure. Concentrate on the picture, and notice any perceptions that may come into your mind while you do so. Listen carefully for the sounds of music: all ages of humans and all places have had forms of music. That music still exists on the spiritual level, and you can "plug into" that level and listen to the sounds of the past.
Get several different kinds of plants, none of which have very strong smells. Have someone else bring you these plants one at a time while you remain sitting and quietly focused, with eyes closed. Open yourself up to any impressions of a smell from the plant. Don't bring it up to your nose- you're not interested in physical sensations. Rather, be open to any spiritual level sensations of smell. State what you smell, and have your friend record what you see.
Do these for all the plants, and then try the same experiment at a later date. See if you can begin to identify correctly the plants just by their spiritual odor. You can also experiment with non-plant items, too. See if certain crystals have a particular odor. Practice with this, but remember, you are doing this to learn, but also to have fun. You will not be given a multiple-choice test over the information!
You can also work with color-sensing here. Take some colored paper and tape it to one side of a file card. Use four different colors, such as red, yellow, blue, and green. Place the cards face down on a flat surface and first allow your hand to pass over the cards. Then pick up one card and place it in your sensing hand (usually your left hand if you are right-handed) and try to open yourself to any impressions of the color of the paper. By pure chance you should be correct 25% of the time if you use four colors. If you start perceiving the correct color more often, then you are definitely developing your abilities.
Once you have achieved a success rate of 30% or more, try placing the cards in envelopes that you cannot see through, and repeat the experiment. Work with this again until your success ratio is higher than the chance percentage.
This is concerned with the perception of things, events, or people in the present time, as opposed to precognition (future) or retrocognition (past) sensations. There is, of course, a lot of overlap between clairvoyance and other psychic areas. The psychic abilities do not fall into neat little boxes like our physical abilities.
Again you will need the help of a friend. For experiment one, have your friend place an object in another room of your apartment or house. Calm your mind, focus, and try to sense what that object is. Be open to visual impressions, sounds, smells, etc. You will not always perceive in a straight physical manner.
For the second experiment, light a candle. Concentrate on it, and attempt to send a message through that candle to your friend to have them do something, such as turn over a particular card from a deck of cards.
Number a piece of paper from 1 to 52. With an ordinary deck of playing cards, try to sense the card while looking at its back. Write down your impressions, and record the results. NOTE! You are NOT interested just in being absolutely correct about the card. Note any general patterns you are developing. You might not be guessing the specific card frequently, but you might be getting the color right quite often, or perhaps a general shape. This again is not like a standard physical test of something, where you answer the question True or False and those are the only possibilities. The spiritual level is much more complex than our physical level, and things are not so limited to physical sensations and black/white possibilities.
For this you will need some kind of dowsing device. This can be an ordinary pendulum, such as a small stone on the end of a chain, or it can be the traditional forked sticks. What you are trying to do is to detect the "vibrations" given off by the object. Here are a few activities to start out with:
1. Pick out five playing cards. Four should be black, and one red. turn the cards face side down. After mixing the cards, hold the dowsing device over the cards one at a time. Ask your device, while holding it over the card, if that card is the red one. When you feel you are getting some kind of vibratory movement from your dowsing device, check and record your results. Continue with this until you get to be fairly accurate. Then add two red cards to make a group of seven, and finally a third to make a group of eight. Try to get to the point where you can find the three red cards in the eight-card group.
2. Have a friend fill a styrofoam cup with water, and leave one empty. Have him or her put a file card over both cups. Then use your dowsing device to try and find the one with the water.
3. Have your friend then fill one cup with soil, one with water, and leave one empty. Put file cards over all three, and then try to determine with your device which is water, which soil, and which is empty. Pay special attention to any feelings you get while doing the dowsing: these would include vibrations, colors, smells, tastes, etc. (Remember- psychic abilities overlap).
4. Have your friend now take four cups. Into one, put a copper penny; into another, a gold ring or other piece of jewelry; into the third, a piece of silver jewelry; and into the fourth, a piece of iron or some other object. Cover with file cards and use your dowsing device to try to determine which is which. Note again any patterns you develop in your experiments. Are you for example, consistently getting good results with finding water, but not with finding solid objects? No problem. When considering the use of psychic abilities, remember, just as with physical talents, people have different psychic talents. You may do fine with water, while your friend does fine with solid objects. That's just the way it is.
Take a map of your city. Close your eyes and use your dowsing device to try and locate water on the map. Once you feel you have found the spot, put the point of the device onto the map, circle the area, and see what you have found. If necessary, drive out there and try to locate any lake, water tower, swimming pool, etc. that would match the location you picked.
The use of pendulums is a great aid in allowing you to reach not only your subconscious, but your superconscious. The whole trick in the use of a pendulum is properly programming its use. Pendulums have been used in finding lost persons, lost valuables, locating caves, etc.
A pendulum can be fancy or simple. It can be anything from a paper clip on a string to a fancy, store-bought crystal on an expensive chain. It seems the best object for a pendulum is a crystal. You can obtain crystals at quite reasonable prices in any crystal shop and put them on a chain of your own choosing. Any object will work though, if it is properly programmed.
The pendulum is capable of five motions:
- 1. clockwise circular motion
- 2. counter-clockwise circular motion
- 3. side-to-side swinging motion
- 4. to-and-fro motion (up and down)
- 5. a dead stop with no motion at all
These motions are the ones you need to program your pendulum with. Choose one answer that would indicate "yes", and one answer that would indicate "no".
The best way to hold a pendulum at first is to place your left hand on a table or some other steady surface and create a fist. Take the pendulum in your right hand and hold the string or necklace between your forefinger and your thumb, then make a fist of your right hand and place it over your left hand. This will allow you to hold the pendulum quite still. (Make sure your right hand doesn't interfere with the movement of the pendulum).
Holding the pendulum in this manner, think of the pendulum rotating in a clockwise circle. Imagine that it is doing so. Keep imagining this until you see it begin to move. When it is moving in large circles, command it to stop. Command it to rotate again, slow down, stop, and reverse direction.
In the beginning, ask your pendulum questions to which you already know the answer. Once you begin getting the proper response, then start to ask questions to which you do not know the answer. A simple example would be "will it rain here in this city tomorrow?" Write down the question and the answer, then check and see what happens. Record the results.
If you are still not having a good success rate, start over and reprogram your pendulum. Sometimes your subconscious, or even your conscious, can get in the way of the programming.
Precognition is the ability to foretell the future.
1. Using a die, predict that number that will come on when you roll it. Make your predictions and roll the die 24 times. By chance you should be right 1/6th of the time (about 17%). Try to get better results than that.
2. Using an ordinary deck of cards, have your friend hold the cards. Predict which card he or she will turn up next, and keep track of the results
3. Predict the headline in the next day's newspaper. Remembering perfectly is not required; if you predict a plane crash, and there is a major train accident, then you are pretty close.
4. Try to predict who is calling when your phone rings. Keep track of the results.
This is the ability to control the movement of something else. When rolling the die in precognition, for example, you made no effort to control the die, but rather simply to predict what would turn up. Here are some tests you can use that are quite simple to do:
1. Take a die and try to control which number will come up when you roll it.
2. Take the die and try on purpose to roll a specific number. Do this ten times for each number and record your results. See if you are fairly accurate with certain number(s).
3. Take a candle and enclose it on three sides by some form of shielding, like a piece of cardboard. Light the candle, quiet your mind, and focus on the flame. Try to make the flame go to the left, and then try to make it go to the right.
4. Suspend a pendulum from a frame of some sort. Quiet your mind, focus, and try to move the pendulum.
As noted above, this is the ability to perceive impressions from an object. Here are some simple experiments you can do:
1. Take two bowls. Into one bowl put sugar and into the other bowl put salt. Label the bowls if necessary. Then close your eyes and mix up the position of the bowls. Using just your fingertips, try to determine what the substance is in each bowl. Note any taste sensations that come to you while you are doing this. Record your results, clean your fingertips, and try again.
2. Take a regular deck of playing cards and remove one heart, one spade, one diamond, and one club. Put these face up. Close your eyes, mix the cards up and try to feel with your fingertips, the back of the cards and determine which one is which suit. Note any general pattern of success you might have. For example, you might predict clubs, but it is spades. You may have a stronger ability to detect black than red, in this instance.
3. Have a friend cut some pictures out of a magazine and place one picture in each of three envelopes. Hold the envelopes (sealed) in your hand, and try to determine what the picture is about. Write down any impressions you receive (visual, sound, smell, taste, etc), then open the envelope and see how you did.
4. Have your friend bring some object that belonged to a relative or friend of theirs, and hold the object in your sensing hand. Open yourself to any impressions you receive. State them, then later check them for accuracy with your friend.
5. Go to a flea market and handle some old objects like watches. See what impressions you receive. Note- if you get a strong negative impression, let go of the object! I did this once with a piece of lapis lazuli that belonged to someone going through major troubles at the time, and I got a very negative feeling from the crystal. I wanted to throw it away from me as far as I could.
Again, you will need a friend to help you with this. Have your friend go to some specific location at a certain prearranged time.
At that time, take out a piece of paper and draw any images you see. Again, note colors, general shapes, smells, tastes, textures, etc. Have your friend take a photo of the place, then return. Compare what you drew and perceived with what the photo shows (use a photo, as this will help supplement human memory).
You can do the same type of experiment with a friend who lives quite far away. It seems that remote viewing is not limited by distance.
This is similar to psychometry, but you don't have to physically hold an object in your hand. Visit some old structure some time and open yourself to perceptions of events, people, etc. associated with that object in the past. Record your results, and then try to do some research on the place and find out how close your perceptions were to the known history of the structure.
This involves two people. The best thing you can do is get a set of Rhine (ESP) cards, and use those to test the ability to transmit images between you and a friend.
Another thing you can do is to have your friend concentrate on a photograph and try sending the image to you. As
always, record the results.
Back to start of Spirituality section
My Index Page